Cricket Australia set to postpone men’s Test against Afghanistan in Hobart

Cricket Australia (CA) chief government Nick Hockley has mentioned the one-off men’s Test against Afghanistan — scheduled for Hobart in November — is probably going to be postponed.

Hockley mentioned CA was trying to get extra details about the “situation on the ground” in Afghanistan, following the Taliban’s current takeover of the nation.

The Taliban has mentioned that it doesn’t assist ladies and women enjoying cricket, which is a situation of membership of the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The Hobart Test against Afghanistan — scheduled to start at Bellerive Oval on November 27 — had beforehand been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It’s likely that we will postpone that (Test) until a point of time where there is more clarity and that’s following consultation with the Australian government,” Hockley mentioned.

“The work we’ve been doing is to understand the current situation on the ground.

“We made our place very, very clear off the again of some earlier feedback [made by the Taliban] round — doubtlessly — cricket as a sport for girls and women not being supported in Afghanistan.

Hockley mentioned CA would have extra to say on the Test later this week.

He mentioned he was hopeful the Test could be performed “at a point in the time in the future when things are a little clearer”.

A wide shot of Bellerieve Oval, with shadows lengthening over cricketers on the field
Bellerive Oval is scheduled to host the Test against Afghanistan.(Getty Images: Steve Bell)

The scenario with cricket in Afghanistan has been opaque for the reason that Taliban’s takeover of the nation.

Former Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chief government Hamid Shinwari was changed final month by Naseeb Khan.

Afghanistan is scheduled to play in the men’s T20 World Cup, which begins later this month in the United Arab Emirates and Oman.

Acting ICC chief government Geoff Allardice mentioned the organisation would talk about Afghanistan’s place in a gathering on the finish of the match.

“Since the change of regime took place in Afghanistan in August, we have been in regular contact with the Afghanistan Cricket Board,” Allardice mentioned.

“Our primary function is to support the development of cricket in that country through the member board (ACB).

“We have mentioned all alongside we’re ready to see how issues unfold beneath a distinct regime in that nation.”

CA delighted with Ashes inexperienced gentle

Hockley said he was pleased the men’s Ashes would take place after the English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) gave “conditional approval” for the sequence to be performed in Australia.

The ECB also announced its squad for the five-Test series overnight, with the tour party to leave for Australia early next month.

The first Test is set to begin at the Gabba in Brisbane on December 8.

The England touring party will do two weeks of quarantine at a Gold Coast resort where they can train and move around.

“There’s been an enormous quantity of labor by many, many individuals over, I might say, the final six months,” Hockley said.

“It’s about holding everybody protected.”

Hockley said he had been in daily contact with the ECB and had spoken regularly with the federal and state governments.

The fifth Test in Perth in January has been a sticking point during negotiations because of the West Australian government’s hard-border rule.

CA has been adamant the England and Australian squads will not undergo a two-week quarantine in West Australia before the Test, which could force the match to be moved.

Hockley said CA was working towards conditions where the players would compete in a bio-secure bubble but also have “relative freedoms”.

“We would desperately like to play the fifth Test in Perth; it is completely our intention to achieve this,” he said.

“Those discussions are occurring proper as we communicate. That might be our focus over the subsequent couple of months.

“We’re inspired by the expertise we had final summer season the place we had been ready to play 5 Big Bash (League) video games on the new (Perth) stadium in January.

A sign in a packed stadium shows the attendance number
Perth Stadium hosted AFL matches all through the season, together with the grand closing.(AAP: Richard Wainwright)

Hockley mentioned it was untimely to speculate on the place the fifth Test might be performed if it was not staged in Perth.



Read Original Content Here

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top