Norway bow-and-arrow attack being treated as terrorism, police say

The investigation “will clarify in more detail what the incidents were motivated by,” the Norwegian Police Security Service (PST) stated Thursday in a press release.

A 37-year-old Danish citizen who was residing in Norway was arrested and charged over the attack within the city of Kongsberg, however police have but to reveal what prices he’s going through.

“The police have previously been in contact with the man, including as a result of previous concerns related to radicalization,” police chief Ole Bredrup Sæverud stated Thursday.

The suspect had not appeared on their radar this 12 months although, Sæverud indicated, saying the police had “received no reports in 2021 regarding radicalization.”

A police investigator passes a Norwegian policeman standing guard Thursday as investigations continue into the deadly bow-and-arrow attack in Kongsberg, Norway.

Four ladies and one man have been killed within the attack. “We have some information about the five people who died. There are four women and a man, no one has been formally identified yet. It will take some time. They are all aged 50 to 70 years,” Sæverud stated.

A timeline of the occasions Wednesday revealed that solely 35 minutes elapsed between the primary stories to police of a person capturing with a bow and arrow and the arrest of the suspect.

The first name alerting police got here into the operations heart at 6:12 p.m., Sæverud stated. A patrol was instantly despatched to the placement, adopted by three extra, he stated. The first patrol on the scene solely briefly noticed the perpetrator.

In the minutes afterward, messages have been coming in from members of the general public that the suspect had been noticed in a number of locations throughout Kongsberg, he stated.

The suspect was arrested at 6:47 p.m., by which era 22 police patrols had been deployed and extra assets have been on their manner. Warning photographs have been fired on the time of the arrest, Sæverud stated.

From what police now know, “it appears reasonably clear that probably everyone was killed after the police were in contact with the perpetrator for the first time,” he stated.

The perpetrator is believed to have acted alone, police stated.

One witness to the attack, Linda Ostergaard, was biking dwelling together with her two daughters when she got here on the attack, in line with Swedish CNN affiliate, Expressen.

“My youngest daughter was a couple of meters in front of me when she suddenly stopped as there were lots of blue lights,” Ostergaard stated.

“We saw a police car with sirens on come, and it stopped at the top of the street. Two policemen jumped out of the car with weapons and ran into the shop here, and they were shouting, ‘armed police, put down the weapon.'”

“Then we were told to move away, that we had to get to safety. So we ran to the corner there, and stood there on the corner. There, we met another man who said that it was he who had called the police, and that the perpetrator had shot after him, down here, and then we saw that there was an arrow down there in the road. There was no crossbow only a long arrow lying there.”

Police officers cordon off the scene in Kongsberg on October 13.

‘Perpetrator has carried out horrific acts’

The attack got here on the eve of a brand new authorities taking workplace after final month’s parliamentary elections unseated the long-ruling Conservative Party.

Labour chief Jonas Gahr Store is because of assume the position of Prime Minister on Thursday. In a Facebook put up, Store described the attack as a “cruel and brutal act.”

Speaking at a late-night information convention within the capital, Oslo, the nation’s outgoing Prime Minister Erna Solberg described the developments in Kongsberg as “gruesome” and promised “all necessary resources” have been being deployed.

“The perpetrator has carried out horrific acts against several people. It is a very dramatic situation that has hit Kongsberg society hard, and the events shake us all,” she stated.

An arrow is left in a wall at the scene where a man armed with bow killed several people in Kongsberg.

Norway’s King Harald expressed his sympathies Thursday in a brief message to the mayor of Kongsberg, saying that “the rest of the nation stands with you.”

“We sympathize with the relatives and injured in the grief and despair,” he stated. “And we think of all those affected in Kongsberg who have experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”

The attack comes simply over a decade since Norway’s worst terrorist attack.

In July 2011, Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Brevik killed 77 individuals, lots of them youngsters, in a bomb attack and gun rampage. He was sentenced to 21 years in jail, the utmost doable time period.

In August 2019, one other man stormed an Oslo mosque armed with weapons earlier than being overpowered. That 12 months, the nation’s intelligence service reported that right-wing terrorism was on the rise globally, and warned that the nation would doubtless be focused within the close to future.

CNN’s Rob Picheta, Vasco Cotovio, Seb Shukla and Lianne Kolirin contributed to this report.



Read Original Content Here

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top