Thousands of people have raised more than $1 million for a man who served 43 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit

Kevin Strickland, 62, was exonerated Tuesday morning after serving a long time at Western Missouri Correctional Center in Cameron, Missouri. Strickland was convicted in 1979 of one rely of capital homicide and two counts of second-degree homicide in a triple murder. He acquired a 50-year life sentence with out the chance for parole for a crime that, over the years, he maintained he had not been concerned in.
Senior Judge James Welsh dismissed all legal counts in opposition to Strickland. His launch makes his confinement the longest wrongful imprisonment in Missouri historical past and one of the longest in the nation, in keeping with The National Registry of Exonerations.
The Midwest Innocence Project created a GoFundMe account to assist Strickland restart his life, since he would not qualify for assist from the state of Missouri.

In Missouri, solely these exonerated by means of DNA testing are eligible for a $50 per day of post-conviction confinement, in keeping with the Innocence Project. That was not the case for Strickland.

As of Thursday night, donations for Strickland had topped $1 million.

After spending 43 years in prison for a triple murder he says he didn't commit, a Missouri man is finally free

The fund was created over the summer season with a purpose of elevating $7,500, which the fund says would quantity to roughly $175 {dollars} for yearly Strickland spent wrongfully convicted.

Thirty-six states and Washington, DC, have legal guidelines on the books that supply compensation for exonerees, in keeping with the Innocence Project. The federal commonplace to compensate these who are wrongfully convicted is a minimal of $50,000 per 12 months of incarceration, plus a further quantity for every year spent on dying row.

Adjusting to a new world

Strickland stated he discovered of his launch by means of a breaking information report that interrupted the cleaning soap opera he was watching Tuesday.

The very first thing he did after his launch was go to his mom’s grave.

“To know my mother was underneath that dirt and I hadn’t gotten a chance to visit with her in the last years … I revisited those tears that I did when they told me I was guilty of a crime I didn’t commit,” Strickland informed CNN’s Brianna Keilar Wednesday.

He visited his mother's grave for the first time after spending 43 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit

His first evening out of prison was a stressed one, the place ideas of returning to prison, amongst others, saved him awake, he stated Wednesday.

“I’m used to living in a close, confined cell where I know exactly what’s going on in there with me,” he stated. “And being home and you hear the creaks of the home settling and the electrical wiring and whatever else … I was kind of afraid. I thought somebody was coming to get me.”

Convicted as a teenager, exonerated as an grownup

Four people have been shot in Kansas City, Missouri, on April 25, 1978, ensuing in three deaths, in keeping with CNN affiliate KSHB. The solely survivor of the crime, Cynthia Douglas, who died in 2015, testified in 1978 that Strickland was on the scene of the triple homicide.

Douglas sustained a shotgun damage and informed police then that Vincent Bell and Kiln Adkins have been two of the perpetrators. But she didn’t determine Strickland, who she knew, as being on the scene till a day later, in keeping with KSHB, after it was prompt to her Strickland’s hair matched Douglas’ description of the shooter. Douglas claimed her preliminary failure to determine him was as a result of use of cognac and marijuana, in keeping with KSHB.

He spent years in prison for the rape of author Alice Sebold, the subject of her memoir, 'Lucky.' A judge just exonerated him

But for the previous 30 years, she has been saying that she made a mistake and falsely recognized Strickland. According to KSHB, Douglas made efforts to free Strickland by means of the Midwest Innocence Project.

The two assailants she recognized on the scene each pleaded responsible to second-degree homicide and every ended up serving about 10 years in prison for the crimes, in keeping with Strickland’s legal professional, Robert Hoffman.

Read Original Content Here

Scroll to Top